Did you know that a piece of local aviation history has found a home in one of the most prestigious museums in the world?
The Aeronca C-2, manufactured by the local company of the same name (formerly the Aeronautical Corporation of America now known as Magellan Aerospace), occupies air space in a companion facility of the renowned Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.
The historic plane is located in Chantilly, Virginia, at the Boeing Aviation Hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.
Suspended above visitors from around the world, the C-2 still proudly bears registration number X626N and the bright orange and yellow colors with the “rakish stripe running the length of the fuselage.” Its maiden flight took place on October 20, 1929. *
The C-2 harkens back to 1927, when American Charles A. “Lucky Lindy” Lindbergh ignited public interest in aviation with his first solo non-stop flight across the Atlantic Ocean. A year later Aeronca was incorporated in Cincinnati, Ohio, with the company setting up operations at the city’s Lunken Airport. **
The museum plane was “the first C-2 produced by Aeronca” and was given the serial number 2 as a way of distinguishing it from the hand-built prototype designed by French engineer Jean A. Roche several years before Aeronca was founded. *